Come and immerse yourself in the ancient philosophy behind this deeply transformational practice we call yoga!
The training will consist of…
Friday evening and Saturday
We will begin our journey with introductions and a deeper understanding of who we are on an individual level… (as a group we will find our individual purpose)
Saturday we will begin with meditation and dive into our studies of Yoga beyond the asanas (postures)
Saturday also brings a special guest Alex Baker who will highlight Ayurveda (the sister science to yoga)
We will learn…
* We will take a deep dive into the practice of yoga. Recognizing it is an art and science dedicated to creating union between body, mind and spirit and Its objective is to assist the practitioner in using the breath and body to foster an awareness of ourselves as individualized beings intimately connected to the unified whole of creation. In short it is about making balance and creating equanimity so as to live in peace, good health and harmony with the greater whole. We will discuss the yogi’s eight limbed path that ultimately leads to this goal
YAMA – Restraints, moral disciplines or moral vows.
NIYAMA – Positive duties or observances.
ASANA – Posture.
PRANAYAMA – Breathing techniques.
PRATYAHARA – Sense withdrawal.
DHARANA – Focused concentration.
DHYANA – Meditative absorption.
SAMADHI – Bliss or enlightenment.
* Know the subtle body. Just as we have a physical body, we also have a body of energy, called subtle body. And just as we have a physical spine that acts as the central channel through which nerve impulses flow, we also have a subtle central channel called sushumna through which prana, or life force, flows. Deep within the sushumna lie spinning centers of energy, called chakras, which are like intense vortices of energy that act as distribution points for prana. We will learn how practicing yoga can manipulate this energy and ultimately increase your health, enthusiasm and over-all happiness!
* Deepen your understanding of vibration and the sacred language of Sanskrit (why it heals). As well as some of the other sounds we experience in a yoga class (music, bowls, chanting) why we do this and how is it affecting us?
* Dive into prana… How to restrict and encourage the flow of energy throughout the body and the energy channels
* Really understand surya namaskar A and B (Or the sun salutes) break down each individual asana (name and inhale or exhale and why) My goal is on the last day each attendee will have the opportunity to lead the class through one of these flows.
* Learn to safely invert (this is for absolutely everyone! No matter what your fitness level I will show you how to safely go upside down)
The chakras – where are they & How to heal them
• Experience Bhakti yoga with a sound healing… gongs, bowls, and a digeridoo healing by Kundalini Yoga teacher Matthew Dauble and his wife Judieth
• Bandha’s – why and how to use them
• Nadis – How to open them & increase Prana
• Sun Salutes A & B – breaking down each individual asana by name and inhale or exhale and why.
• Guest speaker will give an incredibly informative talk about the sister science of yoga, Ayurveda…Discover which Dosha you are and why that matters.
• Art of Living Foundation will talk about meditation and guide us through some pranayama techniques.
• You will find your voice & take on the role of teacher taking the class through a sun salutation A &B.
• Learn to invert – headstand, handstand, forearm